Friday, April 23, 2010

An eBook Experience

The Setting: A small local restaurant

Waiter: "So nice to see you again!"

Me: "Thanks"

Waiter: "Wow. I see you've gone to the Kindle?!"

Me: "Yes, I love it!"

Waiter: "I tried it and hated it."

Me: "You actually bought one, used it, and didn't like it?"

Waiter: "Yes, I did."

Me: "Was it the actual Kindle or something else you didn't like?"

Waiter: "I will never give up a printed book. I love it too much. The eBook just didn't feel right."

And, there you have it.

We might believe eBooks are the future of publishing and the world is just waiting to jump on our bandwagon. But, there are still people out there who would far prefer to hold, smell, and read an actual printed book.

No eBook can ever replace that.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the waitor, I am not an eBook fan. I have actually stopped accepting eBooks for review.

    I find that the artificial light given off by a computer/kindle/iPhone etc actually gives me a shocking headache, and I have heard from many people who have the same problem.

    They are ok if you read a few pages a day, but I read a book in the one sitting (or 2 if a long book) and I find that staring at the screen for a prolonged period isn't good for my eyes.

    Anyone else have that problem?

    Nicole @ Books, Books Everywhere
    http://bookywooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete