Thursday, February 18, 2010

Can a book, author or series be launched in eBook format?

Over the course of the past several months we, along with our clients and colleagues, have been paying close attention to the rapidly expanding - and changing - world of eBooks. And, today's announcement that Kindle is now available for Blackberry has one of us jumping for joy!

As launching eBooks becomes more accessible, doors are opening for small publishers around the world. Publishers that used to plan and budget so carefully for printing, warehousing, and fulfillment are now asking the question:

Can I launch my book as an eBook before - or instead of - a printed book?

We certainly have our thoughts on the matter. And, after carefully researching (read: hounding fellow Kindle owners) we've noticed as surprising trend.

eBook readers are more inclined to try new authors. Why? Because savvy publishers and authors are offering their Kindle books at very competitive prices. Sometimes, they're offering them for free!

Between the two of us, we "discovered" several new favorite authors in the past six months to a year. In a couple of cases, the first book we "purchased" was free. In other cases, titles were offered for under $2.00. Either way, the publisher succeeded in getting us to download the book and try the author.

The good news? If we liked the author, we kept purchasing. And, not every book was cheap or free!

Is it possible to launch a new book, author or series as an eBook only? Can publishers drum up interest and a following while saving money on printing, warehousing, fulfillment and distribution?

Just as recently as a few months ago, the answer might have been "no" - not enough people own eReaders, Kindles, the Nook and/or other readers. But, times are changing! It's more common to see fellow travelers with the eReader of their choice instead of the latest hardcover.

So what do you think? Should an author launch an eBook instead of printed book?

When is it a good idea?  When isn't it?

4 comments:

  1. As a budding writer working in genre fiction, I'm watching this closely. I tend to think that it's an area I'll need to explore in the future, even though I've continued personally to prefer printed books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact of some ebooks being cheap or free can't be the whole story behind why Kindle owners (etc.) are more inclined to try new authors, though. Both local libraries and the Internet at large have provided similar cheap/free access to new authors for decades (in the case of the former) and years (in the case of the latter). There's got to be more to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Jeff, it can't be the whole story. But I can tell you that my reading time has gone up considerably since I started downloading books to my Blackberry and my Kindle.

    While it is not the whole story, I think the Kindle/Blackberry/iPhone convenience factor might make a reader more likely to try a new book. I love my library, but I am more likely to try a book out for free from the comfort of my couch.

    There are online bookclubs and other ways to get free books, but they, too, lose the "instant gratification" race.

    Also, it is easier to reach thousands of kindle readers than to get a printed book into a library system or into a book club rotation.

    Reading on a computer monitor does not bother me as much as it does other people, but I much prefer the small, hand-held blackberry screen that I can hold and take anywhere.

    Thank you SO much for your comments guys! - Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that putting a book out in eBook format first may be a good way to feel out how a book will sell before putting the money into print format.

    Persoanlly I cannot read eBooks. I am a book blogger and read alot of books, but I do tend to sit and read a book in one sitting and I find that reading off a computer screen, an iPhone or a kindle gives me a headache. I think it is the artificial light. So I steer clear of eBooks and refuse review requests for eBooks.

    Nicole Trist @ Books, Books Everywhere
    http://bookywooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete